Sunday, December 5, 2010

Good in the news

I think that I am going to try a new tactic this week with the blog. Rather than just pointing out the blessings I've seen in my life as they come, I am going to actively try to find good news. This is difficult. Newspapers, and subsequently online journalism, tends to print unhappy stuff. Sensationalism sells. But I did find this article on the New York Times website. You really should read the article.

New Meningitis Vaccine Brings Hope of Taming a Ravaging Illness in Africa
Published: December 4, 2010
The aim is for immunization to spread from Senegal to Ethiopia, saving an estimated 150,000 lives by 2015.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/world/africa/05meningitis.html

This is pretty huge. Isn't it amazing that there are people smart enough, endowed with wisdom and creativity, that can produce vaccinations. So many more lives are saved because of these technologies. We live in an amazing age. We live in a time when we can find cures. We can relive suffering. I am grateful for the people who work to keep people healthy. From nurses to pathologists, isn't it amazing what we can do as a species?

No comments:

Post a Comment